Puppy Out Of Breath

Puppy Out Of Breath
Doug's stories are now in a book: www.puppyoutofbreath.com

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Change My Climate And My Soul


I looked forward to arriving in Africa.  Africa was an entire continent where no one knew me.  I would be able to re-invent myself by putting an ocean and a long plane flight between me and my awkward old self back in America.

A new self!  I planned on having a wonderful new self.  I would set foot on the African continent and instantly be suave and quick-witted.

The United States Peace Corps flew me across the ocean to the capital city of Nigeria, where I was housed in a college dormitory for a few days of orientation.

At the first opportunity, I went out to take a walk.  I wanted to test out my new self.

I spotted a Nigerian man, who broke into a big welcoming smile when he saw me.  Aha, my suaveness was readily apparent.

I greeted him: “Good morning!” --- I was getting ready to show off my quick-wittedness.

He responded: “Good morning, Sir!  Would you like to buy a copy of The Watchtower?”  The man proceeded to show me an array of pamphlets.  He was a Jehovah’s Witness.

I thought I was a new man with a huge amount of suaveness and quick-wittedness.  Instead, I heard myself saying: “Yes, I will buy a copy of The Watchtower.”

I walked back to the dormitory, Watchtower in hand.  My first encounter with Africa had shown me that I had not become suave or quick-witted.  I had simply been my old self, meekly spending a couple of shillings for a pamphlet I did not want, in order to avoid disappointing someone.

During the six years I spent in Africa, I no longer pretended I could re-invent myself.  I must have changed in some ways, but I remained fundamentally the same person.

Recently, I came across a quote from Quintuus Horatius Flaccus, better known as Horace, the poet who lived in ancient Rome.  He had summed up my folly some 2000 years before I arrived in Africa.

He said: They change their climate, not their soul, who rush across the sea." 

Horace was right.

- . - .- . - . - . 

NOTE: Doug's best stories have been collected into a book: Puppy Out Of Breath.  Price = $11.  You can purchase a copy at  http://www.puppyoutofbreath.com

1 comment:

  1. Everyone I know that was shipped to "a rough area" by the Peace Corps seems to have grown rich beyond what money can measure.

    ReplyDelete