Puppy Out Of Breath

Puppy Out Of Breath
Doug's stories are now in a book: www.puppyoutofbreath.com

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Schneider For Guardian Of The Flag



I ran for political office when I was thirteen and Dwight D. Eisenhower was President of the United States.

I declared my candidacy for Guardian of the Flag.  This was a position in our junior high school; the guardian stood on stage and led the Pledge of Allegiance before every school assembly.  I was eminently qualified: I knew the Pledge by heart.


My opponent was also eminently qualified.  His name was Roger Pitman and he also knew the Pledge by heart.  However, I had an advantage because Roger’s father was a doctor and my father worked for a printing company.

That meant I could get free campaign tags printed up: SCHNEIDER FOR GUARDIAN OF THE FLAG. The tags had strings so people could attach them to a shirt button.

The other offices up for election were student council president, vice-president, treasurer, and secretary.  The school bunched us into two groups of five candidates, forming political parties.  The idea was to make our junior high election more like a national election.

We named ourselves the “Pyramid Party”.  Pyramids are a symbol of wisdom and endurance.

Our opponents were more audacious.  They named themselves the “Rock And Roll Party”.  This was audacious because rock and roll was a new phenomenon.  Only two years had passed since Bill Haley and Elvis Presley had their first hit records.

Members of the Pyramid Party were paraded in front of various social studies classes for question-and-answer sessions.  I was ready for the big question for the guardian of the flag: do you know the Pledge of Allegiance by heart?  However, the social studies classes focused their questions on the big guns: the candidates for president and the vice-president.

Sometimes members of both the Pyramid and the Rock And Roll Parties were in a social studies class at the same time.  Ten people lined up in front of the blackboard.  During one of these sessions, a Pyramid candidate taunted the opposition by calling rock and roll a “baby”.  In response, a Rock And Roll candidate called a pyramid an “antique”.

That candidate was my opponent, Roger, and his comment went viral throughout the school.  He won the election.
However, as runner up, I still got to appear at the junior high assemblies.  My job was to take the flag out of its floor stand and hold it at a respectful angle while Roger led the Pledge of Allegiance.

A new school year began.  Roger and I were ready for our debut.  We stepped out on stage and stood next to the flag. I reached over to take the flag out of the flag stand.  Tug.  Tug.  The flag would not come out.  Tug again, no luck.

Was this some kind of practical joke?  Had someone deliberately tightened the screws holding the flag in place so I could not get it out?  I did some quick thinking and picked up the flag while it was still in the stand and held it at a respectful angle.

My stint as runner-up for Guardian of the Flag taught me that I should always check my equipment in advance --- and taught me that a candidate with a clever comment like “antique” will win an election no matter how many printed campaign tags the other candidate has.

- . - .- . - . - . 

YouTube video (2 minutes): Eisenhower changes the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itEeWkB3es0


- . - .- . - . - . 

NOTE: Doug's best stories have been collected into a book: Puppy Out Of Breath.  Price = $11.  You can purchase a copy at  http://www.puppyoutofbreath.com


No comments:

Post a Comment