Puppy Out Of Breath

Puppy Out Of Breath
Doug's stories are now in a book: www.puppyoutofbreath.com

Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Seeds Of Architecture


I arrived at university facing two mandatory requirements for freshmen: we had to be able to swim twenty-five yards and we had to write English to the faculty's satisfaction.

Swimming twenty-five yards was not a problem for me. Convincing an English professor that I could write, however, was a challenge.  

The challenge was intensified by the fact that if you didn't get a B in Freshman Composition the first semester, you had to take another semester of it.  The heat was on, and the heat was turned up when the English professor failed nearly everyone's first composition.

The professor chose architecture as the theme for the class, and we had to read a book of architecture essays.  It was the first time I had to think about architecture in my life.

The first assignment was to write an essay about Lever House in New York.  The guy who wrote the book thought it was a marvelous building, so my essay praised Lever House.  


The guy who wrote the book thought that the Seagram Building was uninspired, so my next essay degraded the Seagram Building.


We were given an assignment to choose a building on campus and write about it.  Some buildings were bland; a few campus buildings were exuberant - in a style that a friend nicknamed "nosebleed Gothic".  My essay mocked one of the exuberant buildings.



I climbed from an “F” to a “D” to a “C” to a “B”.  I had convinced the professor that I knew how to write.

When sophomore year rolled around, it was time to choose a college major.  I was torn; I enjoyed both liberal arts and science.  To help me choose, I took an aptitude test.  I was hoping the test would point me in one direction or the other.

The test figured me out, and suggested a career that combined both liberal arts and science: architecture.  You needed liberal arts to design buildings that please the eyes; you needed science to make sure those buildings don't fall down.

Choosing architecture as a career was problematical: my university did not teach architecture.  The nearby art college did teach architecture, but it was a five-year course.  

At that art college all the painting, ceramics, and sculpture students dressed as if they were beatniks who spent endless hours in coffeehouses discussing philosophy; the architecture students, however, dressed differently.  They dressed as if they were were going to an important business meeting.

I did not want to attend an art college; I did not want to spend five years studying one single subject; I did not want to figure out how to dress differently. 

I did not become an architect.  But the seeds had been planted.

Thirty-four years after graduating from college, I was at an outdoor music festival where they announced a short architectural walking tour of the neighborhood.  I went on the tour.  I noticed that the person leading the tour was reading from note cards.  These were the kind of note cards you can buy at Walgreens.


So, I decided that I would go to Walgreens, buy some note cards, and volunteer to be a St. Louis walking tour guide. I went; I bought; I volunteered.  I have been leading tours for thirteen years now.  

The seeds had finally sprouted, not into an architect, but into an architectural tour guide.


- . - .- . - . - . 


Why do architects insist on dressing differently from everyone else? A 5 minute Pandemonium video:


- . - .- . - . - . 


NOTE: Doug's best stories have been collected into a book: Puppy Out Of Breath.  Price = $11.  You can purchase a copy at  http://www.puppyoutofbreath.com



No comments:

Post a Comment