Puppy Out Of Breath

Puppy Out Of Breath
Doug's stories are now in a book: www.puppyoutofbreath.com

Saturday, April 21, 2012

S.O.S. --- Save Our Saucer


It was the 1980s, and my niece got a gig inventorying buildings in Hartford, Connecticut.  These buildings were being nominated for the National Register of Historic Places.

I saw my niece after she finished the inventory, and I told her that I was pleased that she was helping save historic buildings.

She accepted my compliment, but went on to talk about one of her concerns.  Saving old buildings was a worthwhile effort, but she was worried about saving new buildings.  She was afraid that we would be losing some of the architectural masterpieces of the 1950s simply because they are not old.  People get enthusiastic about old buildings, but they tend to be blasé about new buildings.

My niece was the first person I ever heard express this idea.  I was amazed that she was expressing it in the 1980s when the 1950s were a recent memory.

My niece was a pioneer, and now she is no longer alone.  The number of people who appreciate mid-century modern architecture has swelled.

In St. Louis, the numbers have swelled because someone wanted to tear down our flying saucer.

It’s not a real flying saucer.  It was originally a gas station with a giant circular roof; then it became a fast food taco place with a giant circular roof.

When the fast food taco place closed, plans were announced to demolish the saucer for a strip mall.

People mobilized.  They mobilized on foot carrying signs: “This building is out of this world.”   They mobilized in wheelchairs:


The people were heard.  The loveable saucer will now be preserved, and will become the home of a Starbucks and a Chipotle Mexican Grill.

My niece, the pioneer, will be glad to know that the flying saucer retains its place among other St. Louis mid-century modern monuments, including the Gateway Arch and what has to be the nation’s largest Amoco sign.


- . - .- . - . - . 

NOTE: Doug's best stories have been collected into a book: Puppy Out Of Breath.  Price = $11.  You can purchase a copy at  http://www.puppyoutofbreath.com

No comments:

Post a Comment