Puppy Out Of Breath

Puppy Out Of Breath
Doug's stories are now in a book: www.puppyoutofbreath.com

Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Place For Neanderthals


I was talking to a college undergraduate, and I decided I needed to sharpen my social media skills.

I asked her, “I am on Facebook and on Twitter.  What am I missing?”

Her answer (“You are missing Pinterest”) came with a warning.  She told me that Pinterest was not word-based, it was photo-based, where women pin photos of food or clothes.


Soon after I talked to the college undergrad, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch printed an article about Pinterest, noting that the site was used mostly by women who pin photos of food or clothes or design.  


I signed up for Pinterest, and I noticed that most users were women and most photos were about food or clothes or design or wedding ideas. 


However, there were a sprinkling of men on the site, and a sprinkling of travel photos.  I hatched a plan to promote my St. Louis architectural walking tours.  I pinned photos of buildings in St. Louis --- buildings that people would see if they came on one of my tours.  I planted tour info in the caption of each photo.

Once photos are pinned, they can be re-pinned by other Pinterest users.  So, as my photos move around Pinterest, the walking tour info goes with them. 

I am patting myself on the back for being so clever.

I showed off my cleverness to a co-worker who had never heard of Pinterest.  “I have put some walking tour photos on a website full of photos that people have pinned.”  He is a word-based kind of guy, and immediately labeled Pinterest as a place for Neanterthals.  

His comment: "Neanderthals don't read; they grunt and point at photos."

I realized that I needed to convince my co-worker of the power of Pinterest.  And I had one and one chance to convince him.  I asked Pinterest to show me photos of cupcakes.  

I didn't grunt; I just pointed at a photo of a eye-catching Boston crème pie cupcake.  

The visual won out.  At the sight of this cupcake, my co-worker forgot all about Neanderthals and started thinking about cupcakes.

Visuals are compelling; visuals are not just for Neanderthals.



To see my St. Louis western downtown board on Pinternet:




To see my St. Louis eastern downtown board on Pinternet:

To see my St. Louis 1904 World’s Fair board on Pinternet:
http://www.pinterest.com/PupOutOfBreath/1904-st-louis-world-s-fair/

- . - .- . - . - . 


NOTE: Doug's best stories have been collected into a book: Puppy Out Of Breath.  Price = $11.  You can purchase a copy at http://www.puppyoutofbreath.com/?page_id=108
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif



No comments:

Post a Comment