Puppy Out Of Breath

Puppy Out Of Breath
Doug's stories are now in a book: www.puppyoutofbreath.com

Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Shiny Piston Inserted In My Skull


I always thought that the bones in my inner ear had cute names and would be easy to remember for a high school biology test: hammer, anvil, stirrup.

However, on Monday my ear changed.  A surgeon inserted a piston in my skull.  Now, my inner ear consists of a hammer, an anvil, and a shiny piston.

Over the years since high school biology, the stirrup in my right ear became calcified.  My hearing was diminished.  When I got my first hearing aid in 1992, I was told about “The Operation.”  This meant replacing the stirrup bone with a plastic bone, which would vibrate and help my hearing.

Time went by, and I decided to investigate having “The Operation”.  By then “The Operation” had advanced medically and meant replacing the stirrup bone with a spring.  I set up a date for the surgery.

Then I was at lunch with someone from the Human Resources Department where I work.  I mentioned my upcoming ear surgery, and she said there was an employee in California who had the same surgery, and I should get in touch with him.

Good thing I got in touch.  The fellow in California emailed back: the operation improved his hearing but damaged his sense of balance.

Hmm…it did not take long to decide which is better: improved hearing or a good sense of balance. Good balance enables you to carry on everyday life.

I went back to the ear surgeon and said I was cancelling my surgery because I did not want to risk losing my sense of balance.  The surgeon’s response: “Oh, it’s not a big deal; only six of my patients have ever lost their sense of balance.”

Really?  Six patients unable to carry on everyday life?  I didn’t care if it was six out of a hundred or six out of a thousand, this surgeon never mentioned it to me.  Surgery cancelled.

Time went by some more, and I decided to investigate again.  This time I looked for an ear surgeon who specialized in balance.  I met with him, and he told me about the results of the surgery.  96% of people gain improved hearing; 3% have no change; 1% have a loss.

I decided to go with it.  This surgeon was upfront about the risks, and if there was a balance problem he would be the one to fix it.

But now “The Operation” means replacing the stirrup bone with a piston.

The piston was inserted five days ago.  At the moment, I am not sure if it has improved my hearing because I have to wear a wad of cotton taped in my right ear to keep medicine from leaking out.

However, my balance is not a problem.

My main problem now is my friends' comments:  "Don’t blow a gasket!"  "You must be high octane now!"  "How many miles per gallon are you getting with a shiny piston in your skull?"


- . - .- . - . - . 

NOTE: Doug's best stories have been collected into a book: Puppy Out Of Breath.  Price = $11.  You can purchase a copy at  http://www.puppyoutofbreath.com

3 comments:

  1. I have this week (Thursday)in the UK had an operation to replace the anvil middle ear bone..no problem with balance...but some problem with a metal taste and thirst++ which should improve...Like you my middle ear is packed so won't know about the improvement in hearing for some weeks yet...Good luck with your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're finding the surgery to be a success by now! Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love it and amazing information in this blog. it's really good and great information well done. Ear surgeon.

    ReplyDelete